Office of Professional Standards
Goals of the Office of Professional Standards
This Office of Professional Standards (OPS) is responsible for investigating complaints of serious rule infractions, criminal allegations, firearm discharges, vehicle pursuits and monitoring drug testing of employees. The OPS also investigates complaints of minor rule infractions.
How to file a Complaint
We take external complaints seriously and understand that public trust and participation is an integral part of policing in our society. The complaint process should not be an inconvenient or overwhelming task. We accept complaints in-person, by phone, or letter or email. If you cannot come to us, we can come to a location suitable to you.
We accept anonymous complaints, third-party complaints and complaints from unaccompanied juveniles (though we prefer that juveniles involve their parents).
Immigrants who seek to file complaints will NOT be asked about their immigration status.
A complaint should be filed when you witness or experience a personal encounter with Holmdel Township Police personnel that involves criminal conduct, misconduct, abusive or discriminatory behavior, neglect of duty, corrupt activity, inappropriate conduct or a violation of rules and regulations of the Holmdel Township Police Department.
- In person: Go to any police facility and ask to speak to the highest ranking supervisor on duty
- By Email: Email the complaint to Captain Frank Allocco at firstname.lastname@example.org
- By Telephone: Call the Office of Professional Standards at (732) 946-4400 and speak to the Officer in charge.
- At Home or the location where the incident occurred: You may also request that a supervisor respond to your location to take your complaint by calling (732) 946-4400.
- By Mail: Complete a civilian complaint form, which is available at police headquarters. The form can be completed at headquarters or at home and mailed to the OPS. You can also write a letter and mail it to OPS.
- Mailing address:
- Office of Professional Standards - Holmdel Police Department
- 4 Crawfords Corner Road, Holmdel, NJ 07733
- Anonymous Complaints: We will accept and investigate your complaint, even if you do not wish to provide your personal information and prefer to remain anonymous. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
How Complaints are Investigated
The Office of Professional Standards reviews all complaints. The complaints are then assigned to a supervisor. All civilians complaints are handled by OPS Commander. Complaints about Officers may be handled by OPS or referred to the Police Department command, depending on how serious a complaint is. Upon completion, and review, of a thorough investigation, a final disposition is determined. A thorough investigation means interviewing all witnesses, reviewing internal records and assessing the credibility of all claims.
What Can Complainants Expect?
You will be notified of the disposition in writing after the investigation is completed. It will be sent by both certified and regular mail to the address you provide.
Investigations generally take 30 days to complete, depending on a number of factors.
You may be asked to testify in a criminal court or a Departmental hearing if the investigation upholds your allegation against the Officer.
- Additional Training and/or counseling
- Suspension from duty
- Fine imposed
- Termination or demotion @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Any disciplinary action against an employee must be in accordance with the Holmdel Township Police Department rules, state statutes and local civil service rules. We appreciate your time in participating in the complaint and review process. Our Officers are held to the highest standards and we encourage members of the public to bring these matters to our attention. Similarly, if you would like to commend a Holmdel Township Police Officer for his or her actions, you may do so by writing a letter to the Police Department.